Whether you’re knocking down old walls, erecting new ones or cosmetically altering existing walls, aesthetics matter. So before you pick up a paintbrush or attempt to hang that expensive pattern-happy wallpaper, consider calling on an expert.
• If hiring a professional, the average labour cost is $2 to $3 per square foot.
• For an average-sized room that measures approximately 12×12, a complete paint job will cost between $800 and $1,000 (i.e. basic walls, ceiling and trim). Keep in mind that these prices are subject to the prep work required, such as if the existing paint is oil or latex and needs a primer.
• Wallpapering a room, especially if working with heavily patterned designs, is truly an art form – so it’s worth relying on an expert to ensure a seamless result.
• The average cost for installation is $600 per room (this price will fluctuate depending on the size and shape of the space).
• Wallpaper can range from $60 to $800 per roll, depending on the brand, designer, material and intricacy of the pattern.
• Wainscoting, trim and other architectural detailing is a terrific way to add texture and character to your living space.
• The typical cost of mouldings and trim is $2 to $3 per linear foot (materials like MDF are more affordable than solid wood options).
Doors can also have a tremendous impact on the look and feel of your home (they are a person’s first impression upon entering a space, after all). Whether you’re a modernist, traditionalist or minimalist, a new entrance promises to breathe new life into any room.
• If hiring a professional, installing and trimming a basic interior door will cost between $250 and $300 (this price includes a standard Masonite door and casing).
• Exterior doors are far more pricey, averaging $1,200 to $2,200 – but prices can increase from there (for instance, a stained fiberglass option can cost upwards of $2,500).
Shiny new windows often come with significant energy savings (say goodbye to unwanted drafts that sneak through old panes and result in heat loss).
• The average price to install, trim and flash a new 5×7 foot window is $1,000 (including supply).
• Prices fluctuate depending on size and material. A small basement window, for instance, will cost around $500. And when it comes to type, vinyl styles are more affordable, while wood, fiberglass and aluminum-clad options tend to be more costly.
Courtesy of HGTV